Hub and I went to Kuala Selangor over the weekend and bought some really big fat frozen scallops. Kuala Selangor is a little fishing town about one hour plus away from Kuala Lumpur (famous for enjoying fresh seafood at lower price).
It’s really simple to handle frozen scallops. I just took them out from the freezer, give it a good rinse and let it thaw by itself for about 15-20 mins. After that, I give it another good rise and pat dry. (Never soak your frozen scallops in water as it will loose it’s sweetness)Ingredients (3 person’s portion)
- 12 nos Scallops (sprinkle with salt and black pepper)
- 4 bunch baby bak-choy (separate the leaves from stem)
- 15 nos cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 4 slices bacon (julienne)
- ½ cup marsala wine / white wine
- 1 tbsp Abalone sauce
- 1 tbsp pre-fried garlic (I keep one jar of fried garlic in oil around)
- 3 portion boiled Spaghetti Sauté the scallops on high heat and remember to keep them apart (no soup formed. Or you’ll have steam scallops in the end). It’s always better to have scallops slightly undercooked. So, I manage them by pressing on them with the spoon. I like it cooked till it feels like medium rare beef bounce. Then, I’ll lift it and set it aside. Next, sauté the bacon till you see the oil release from its fat. Put in the bak-choy stem and allow it to stir fry a bit first before putting in the leaves. Add the cherry tomatoes, abalone sauce and Marsala wine (You can just use any white wine but I love the sweetness of Marsala with scallops). Allow this to simmer for 2-3 minutes.