I am so excited about my first cooking post.
Please bear in mind that I have no official cooking training. Everything I learn is from my mum or my aunty. (both whom whips out amazing delicious dishes – in my opinion) Hence, everything is very flexible / mood-base. Those of you who have professional training might find my method horrifying. Hehhee.. But, I cook for me and my family to eat. So, as long as they love it.. it’s all that matters. :p
- Warm up my pot. It is not good to fire away and heat it up fast. (unlike Chinese wok). Warning – too hot too fast might damage your cast-iron pot.
- Updated 2012 : Pan fry bacon first to get the bacon oil. Then, scoop out the bacon bits and put aside.
- Using the bacon fat, stir in the finely chopped garlic (about 6-7 cloves) and onion (1 whole) until brown.
- Throw in my chopped carrots (2 stick) and cubed onions (5 whole). Stir it a bit. Throw in 4-5 pcs of Bay leaves. Close it with the lid and let it simmer for about 10 mins.
Marinated 8 pcs of chicken thigh / drumsticks with salt, pepper, oyster sauce and a dash of sesame oil (it’s the Chinese in me), 2 cup of Merlot (red wine) and ½ cup of brandy for about 30 minutes before hand. My mom loves herbs. So, I throw in some rosemary and thymes just for her. ** Taste turns out quite good actually**
- Pan-seared the chicken (skin side up) with a pan until all sides are nicely brown.
- Arrange chicken and bacon bits into pot. Leftover marinate pour inside also.
- Fill up the pot with some chicken stock (I just dilute one chicken stock cube into warm water)
- Add another 3 cups of Merlot (I love the strong alcohol taste. So, you might not want to put in as much if you don’t)
- Allow everything to simmer for 2 hours until chicken is soft and you can tear out the meat with just a fork.
- Eat with Rice / Bread. We love it with butter-toasted baguette.